Valley of Home
The Village & Valley is simply known as Home by the inhabitants. The village has been dug into the body of a dead god (they don’t it’s origin, only the word “Chauntea” has come down through history). Within the ring of roses the area is stable, it has generally mild weather and is always day. It is also always summer here. With no seasons, moon, or stars the people of the village measure everything by harvests (radish 3 weeks, wheat 4 months, grape 5 months, etc).
While the ring of roses protect the population for the chaos of the First World, it does nothing to protect them from the creatures. It is common for them to have to defend their lands. If the enemy is too great they retreat into the hill (creatures of the First World eventually move off due to the creepy stability of the area.)
The entire population (350) are half elves. The village was founded by a group of humans with some elves (all of which have long since died), the current population are their descendants. Some have slightly more elven than human features and vice versa, but all are half elf. The entire population are much longer lived than regular half elves however (age categories of gnomes).
Their technology is neither primitive nor advanced. What they do lack however is metal, the nature of the valley degrades metal very quickly. Everything is made of wood (normal, darkwood, greenwood, living steel, darkleaf cloth, whipwood), leather, bone, stone (normal and obsidian), exotic hides, etc. They are exceptional craftsmen, only items of masterwork quality are deemed worthy of being used.
Tattooing is a common practice here. Most of the population have them. Most are also skilled artists (and so can design their own tattoos).
Music is a big part of life here; songs tend to be wordless melodies or have strange lyrics (often in dead languages, also without context the words have changed over the centuries). Story-telling is an uncommon form of entertainment. Any outside songs and stories command complete attention.
There is no religion at Home. The closest thing is nature itself. The old man who fills the “priest” role of the village is a bard wise in the ways of nature and psychology.
The traditional family unit is respected here (parents, grand-parents, kids, etc) though child rearing is seen as a community repsonsibility.
Through centuries of communal life the citizens of Home work like a well oiled machine. Everyone knows what is expected of them and when.
Except for The First Speaker, The Wise Man, The Painter, The Crafter, and Guardian there are no specialized professions in Home. There are no merchants (etc). If you want something, make it.
- The First Speaker: A young woman with blonde hair and eyes of gold. The First Speaker is the leader of Home, though direct leadership is only required during moments of stress. She also is the first and last (and only first and last) to speak during a “Gathering”. She has one apprentice, an athletic young man named Nolaquen.
- The Wise Man: An old man who is a skilled Bard. He has great knowledge about nature, psychology, and genetics. Marriage involves the old man pondering the family tree of two potential mates and figuring out if the two are too close. He will bless a union that will produce healthy, non-inbred, children. He also ensures no fey blood is introduced (and no loss of soul etc). He has two apprentices, Erandur and Yalie.
- The Painter: A middle aged woman who is shaved bald. She is a skilled sorcerer of the Arcane bloodline. She also carries with her the secret of tattoo magic. It is only bestowed in special circumstances and the materials are very difficult to get. The current Painter took over from Quinn’s mother, who was the previous Painter and the greatest in their history. She has one apprentice, a serious young man named Huesto.
- The Crafter: A middle aged man with greying black hair. He is a skilled wizard who specializes in item creation. He can create Scrolls, Wands, Armor, and Weapons. He has two apprentices, Nen and Eri.
- Guardian: The head warrior of the village, he appears to be a man in his mid 30’s. He is a skilled fighter and hunter (ranger). When forays into the outside world is necessary (very risky, no guarantee of return) it is the Guardian who leads it. He leads a small group of 10 of Home’s best warriors (all rangers).